The view from my front porch

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Personal Assessment

I consider myself to be rather tech savvy. Blogging is making me change my mind. I'm realizing I'm more consumer than producer, if that makes sense. I can talk fairly fluently about various tech related items (phones, T.Vs, computers)but as far as understanding what makes things work, specifically computers, I realize I'm quite lost. I'm having to google quite a bit of different blogging terms to fully understand their meaning. Sure I had seen things like RSS feeds, but I really had no idea what it meant, or what purpose they served. To embed videos in blogs, who would of thought you had to click "Edit HTML." I'm slowly understanding some of the many intricacies of blogging. What about you guys? Do you feel completely lost? Or is blogging 'old hat' for most of you?

3 comments:

  1. I understand about being a consumer rather than a producer, Joel! I'm like that too. However, I'm feeling as though I'm going to have to start doing some producing, if only in small ways, to keep up with my students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like this class was a perfect match for you. There were things you didn't know before you got here and you discovered how to do new and different things. I suspect I could have written out a grand description how to "Edit HTML" but I will bet that you and everyone who reads this will remember it better now that you have discovered, used it and now have even talked (blogged) about it. I regret your frustration but I don't apologize for your learning. Hurray for Joel.

    Now venture into the challenging part of "how do I actually use blogs effectively in education." If you're reading other blogs there are numerous hints and ideas. May I make one now: add a gadget by using your dashboard and design tabs to link to your classmates for easy access. Do you want more hand holding? Blog a classmate or email me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your picture. Adding images in your blog, just another great tool. And you have embedded video. You're practically a pro.

    ReplyDelete